At Breage C of E Primary School we use the 'Charanga Music School' scheme to ensure progression in skills and consistency in approach.
How the Scheme is Structured
Each Unit of Work comprises the of strands of musical learning which correspond with the national curriculum for music:
- Listening and Appraising
- Musical Activities
- Warm-up Games
- Optional Flexible Games
- Playing instruments
All activities are based around a song.
- Games embed the Interrelated Dimensions of Music through repetition
- Singing is at the heart of all the musical learning
- Playing instruments with the song to be learnt - tuned/un-tuned classroom percussion and an option to play any band instrument. A sound-before-symbol approach is used but scores are provided as an understanding of notation is introduced to the children
- Improvising with the song using voices and instruments occurs in some Units of Work
- Composing with the song using instruments occurs in some Units of Work