Religious Education

Religious Education

At Breage C of E School, our RE curriculum entails encouragement of each student to interpret and respond to a variety of concepts, beliefs and practices within religions and to their own and others’ cultural and life experiences.



We have implemented the Cornwall Agreed Syllabus 2020, where we deliver a broad R.E. curriculum where 60% of the curriculum time is spent on Christianity whilst the other 40% of the time develops a knowledge and understanding of four other main religions. 

We have implemented the planning resource of the Cornwall Agreed syllabus alongside Understanding Christianity and RE today units. We use the excellent Understanding Christianity resource as the basis for our RE teaching about Christianity. It uses scripture as a starting point for discussions about God, the Bible, Jesus and how Christians live. It encourages children to consider life from a Christian point of view, yet also allows for children with other opinions to air their views. It is a creative approach that includes art, music and poetry. We use discussion and debate as a vehicle for critical thinking, and our values are the basis of our learning.  Understanding Christianity covers most of Curriculum Kernewek (2020 Cornwall Agreed Syllabus)- the remaining areas and major world faiths can be seen on our long term plan. 

At Breage C of E School, our Christian values are intrinsic to everything we do and are part of the culture and lifestyle that we provide for the children. The values are promoted across the school by staff and children alike.

Parental right of withdrawal from RE 

This was first granted in 1944 when curricular RE was called ‘Religious Instruction’ and carried with it connotations of induction into the Christian faith. RE is very different now – open, broad and exploring a range of religious and non-religious worldviews. In the UK, parents still have the right to withdraw their children from RE on the grounds that they wish to provide their own RE. This provision will be the parents’ responsibility. This right of withdrawal exists for all pupils in all types of school, including schools with and without a religious designation. Parents also have the right to withdraw their child from part of RE and can do so without giving any explanation. 

Any requests to withdraw a child from RE must be put in writing to the Head of School but we do encourage you to have a conversation with us about your concerns first.

Breage C of E Primary School
School website design by eSchools. Content provided by Breage C of E Primary School. All rights reserved. 2024